Saturday, January 15, 2005

Journey towards lavender valley

The journey of a thousand miles begin with one step. And yes, walking down this road, we all want to know how the road ahead looks like. Whether it will be one smooth long, boring road or a rocky road that constantly needs new acrobatic skills acquired along the way in order to survive. Or is it going to be everyone’s dream, the road down the breezy lavender valley?

Out of curiosity and bimbosity, I recently went to a fortune teller to find out. I decided since this old man could tell that metria was getting married soon, he might tell me something interesting too. After a short Q & A about my date, time and place of birth, some computer clicks, 5 minutes of noisy printing, my lifestory was lying before me in a few pieces of A4 white paper.

The scrawny old man suddenly started majestically announcing my lifestory with a deafening booming loud voice, “MIKI C, BORN ON THE 6th OF SEPTEMBER 1976, in KUALA LUMPUR is a …….” So the story started and I listened.

And this is what I learned. In all fortunes, there is always an ‘except’. Everything is good except… Your marriage will be happy except…. . EXCEPT.. yes, always expect an ‘except’ when your fortune is being told. And for me, except what? My love life, ofcourse. I who can give Carrie Bradshaw and Bridget Jones a run for the title of who has the most failed relationships.

They came in all shapes and sizes. Some boosted my ego, some killed them. One begged me to marry him, while another thought my nose was too flat. One tried to impress me by telling me about his soul going to heaven every year to pray for world peace with the rest of the heavenly Gods while another thought I was just too fat. One tried to impress me with money while another couldn’t commit. One had my heart for years but never appreciated it while another was admitted to the mental hospital after we broke up. Some shouted at me in public while some never dared to tell me they loved me. When it comes to the opposite sex, I think I must have seen it all.

I grew up reading romance novels and I have always believed in this thing called love. I believe it being the one magical thing that makes the world go round and is also the thing that keeps us human beings together, alive and running. Which is why, my search for love in the last 10 years has been truly, truly disappointing. At bad times, I told myself, “Just wait, someday, someone will come and make my wait worthwhile”… I believe in happy endings because I simply want to believe in them.

Then the fortune teller said the magic words. He told me that my roller coaster romance will end in January 2005. After that, the journey down lavender garden will finally begin. Again, I wanted to believe this not because I am superstitious but simply because I want to believe. Just like metria, I am also counting down the days. I’d like to tell myself, that maybe, just maybe, I’ve found a man that’s here to stay.. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home