Thursday, January 20, 2005

Wanted: Adventure

When i was young, i read a lot of fairy tales and watched 'The Fairy Tale's Theatre' on tv on a daily basis. If it wasn't the airing of a new fairy tale on tv, it was watching over and over again, the recorded version. Thanks to Enid Blyton, 'The Faraway Tree' taught me to believe that there are different worlds out there. And thanks to the 'Famous Five' and 'Secret 7', life can be a big adventure everyday. Anne of Green Gables taught me to imagine and fantasize and when i grew older, Judith McNaught told me that love is possible.

So here i am, a totally ordinary girl approaching her 30s going through a totally mundane day to day life. Metria and i were driving back from lunch along the lonely roads of Cyberjaya today. We wondered, 'Why doesn't Big foot decide to trample past Cyberjaya right now and leave a set of mysterious footprints so that we can all be excited and talk, debate and gossip about it for the rest of the day?" or even better, he walks past right now in front of us, we can try to outdrive/outrun/outwit the monster. After that, we go home and sing a song in Elven language about our 'grand' adventure!

Im starting to feel that my mundane day to day life is suffocating my over imaginative mind. Why can't i be 'Taken' or have an alien sighting in the heart of Cyberjaya? Why can't i walk past a florist then have a guy running up to me with a bunch of flowers because i smell like 'Envy Gucci'? Why can't i be playing my violin one late night at the top of some hill and chance upon the man of my dreams? Why can't my mother or some relative suddenly hand me a ring one day and tell me i have to journey to a strange land of Mordor to dispose of it? I could also one day accidentally decipher some codes that leads me to an adventure of discovering the holy grail.

Or fine, at least one small puppy can turn up at my doorstep uninvited, right? When i dive, i should be able to at least see someting slightly larger than the ones we see at aquariums, right? Or my birds can learn to say a word or two. I checked on the internet that these birds ARE capable of speech, you know. Why don't they utter a single recognisable word? At least learn to say, "NARRRRLING!".. since they probably hear that most.

What happened to all our childish expectations of life? The last time i complained about this, there was a semi nationwide blackout. This time, i hope something wild happens again. Wish me luck!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home