Thursday, March 02, 2006

Cursed pancakes

Monday, August 08, 2005

I think I’m cursed. Some people are cursed with bad luck and some others are cursed with having bad relationships. Me, I think I’m cursed with having to go to work. Yes. I’m cursed with having to go to work 5 days a week, 20 days a month and 245 days a year after deducting my annual leave of a pathetic 15 days. You must be thinking, “Hey, I’m sure there are some days you take off for sick leave? So it’s not really 245 days a year, is it?”.

To the Smart Alecs, my answer is “Yes, I might take some days off for sick leave but for those days I take, I pay for it dearly.”

I started having gastric pains early yesterday. All my life, I’ve never really had a record for having gastric pains but when they do attack, they seem to have a need to jack it up a bit to make up for the lost times. Since I am a novice gastric victim, I initially thought the mild pain in my upper abdomen was caused by the lack of food. When Narrrling suggested we drive to the nearby “Paddington House of Pancakes” for a late evening tea session, I thought maybe some food would put a stop to the pains. So being my usual self, I helped myself with pancakes, strawberries, bacon, scrambled eggs... anything my weak tummy could take. After the meal, the pain worsened. The pancakes though delicious in the mouth, upon entering my stomach, seem to have turned ugly and tripled the gastric sensations. When I got home, the pain was so extreme that I spent most of the rest of my evening rolling and thrashing around in bed. When I was not doing that, I was retching and vomiting in the toilet, pancakes that have somehow quickly transformed into loads and loads of strange colored liquid. Since then, I never dared to eat anything for the rest of the evening except for painkillers and gastric pills.

When I got up this morning, my first thought was, “Do I go to work?”. I felt weak from the lack of sleep and thrashing around yesterday. When I touched my upper abdomen, a dull pain was still felt though it was not as bad as the day before. What if I ate something later and it got worse like yesterday again? At the same time, there was really nothing pressing at work that I needed to deliver today. So I decided to send off an sms to my manager to inform her I’ll be on sick leave. After 1 hour, I didn’t get a reply from my manager, which I found was strange. So I sent another sms to my team member, Ms Itchy private parts. (Note: If you’re new to my stories and is not aware of who Ms Itchy Private Parts is, kindly click here to learn more about her ‘wonderful’ ways.)

I waited another hour plus and didn’t get a reply from her too. Found it really strange and finally decided to log into my office computer to send them a mail. Alas, today my pc went cranky and I was prompted about passwords I never created and domains I’ve never heard of. When I finally got onto my MS Outlook, it was close to 11am. I wrote a mail to my manager, cc-ing Ms Private Parts, asking them if they received my sms-es and telling them about my gastric situation and that I was going to be on MC today. Since gastric is always seen as a minor problem that usually don’t keep you from coming to work, I added a part about me not being able to eat or sleep the whole of yesterday due to the pains.

It was then that Narrrling told me he forgot to pay the phone bill, which is why our phones are barred and probably why my sms-es DID NOT GO OUT THIS MORNING! SHIT! Does this mean that my manager thought I just happily didn’t turn up at work without informing anyone? It was at that moment too, I got a mail from my manager. Sounding very cold, she said, “No, didn’t get your sms. Take care”.

I felt bad when I got the mail. Did she think I was lying about sending the sms-es? Did she think I woke up late and decided to feign MC? Then the best part. Ms Itchy Private Parts, ensuring that my manager was also cc-ed, wrote me a mail in a very ‘I beg to differ’ tone, and she said, “Nope. I didn’t get your sms neither. How was the pancakes from the Paddington House of pancakes yesterday?”

Thanks to my forever lucky stars. Apparently Ms Itchy Private Parts saw me at the pancake house. Wonderful. So now, my manager does not only think I lied about the sms-es, I also lied about my condition. In my note I said I couldn’t eat or sleep the previous day(cos I vomited all the food I ate anyway!) but obviously I was caught happily eating pancakes in the pancake house the day before. She probably thought, I went wild partying the whole of last night, woke up late this morning at 11am, then quickly sent them a mail lying about having sent earlier sms-es and lying about having some sort of gastric pains that isn’t there. I am SOOOOooo upset!!! Ms Itchy Private parts gets glory once more for exposing the truth they only THINK is true First of all, I really DO have gastric. Second of all, I really DID send the sms-es! But what can I do? If I explain that my phone was barred because Narrrling didn’t pay the bills and that I vomited all the pancakes after that, they will only sound like silly excuses, and a very lame me, trying to rescue the situation. Ting ting ting! Ms Itchy Private Part wins once again…

I gave Narrrling a hard time for forgetting to pay the phone bills and also went to see a doctor to get some proper gastric medications. But what I really want to do is go to the office and stuff some pancakes down somebody’s throat. Then I thought, maybe I should have just bloody gone to work today! Which is why I say, I am cursed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home