Saturday, January 29, 2005

The hard truth

The latest season of American Idol has started again. As usual, they begin with a whole saga of auditions at every corner of the land where anything is possible. These episodes to me might be slightly more entertaining compared to the serious stuffs later because now, you get to watch, just how far someone would go to reach out for fame and glory.

Then there are also the blood curdling, earth shattering, cringing moments when someone has to face the hard, hard truth in front of national television where Simon says “You can’t sing!”

These hopeful participants look shocked! Surprised! Stunted! And the first thing they say is usually, “But everyone around me tell me I can sing!” or “Everyone tells me I sound like Brian McKnight/Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston/Josh Groban…” At times like these, you wonder, just how far some people would go to protect their loved ones from the hard, hard truth.

Whenever I watch scenes like these on TV, I twist the pillows I was hugging into little croissants. Then I think to myself. It is obvious this guy cannot sing so WHY did his family or friends delude him SO MUCH that he is able to confidently stand in front of the camera and say that he is absofuckinglutely sure that he will be the next American Idol?

American Idol has been around for quite a while now. In the last season, we’ve seen Fantasia win and she was a fabulous singer. Then I wonder, didn’t these hopeful participants watch any part of the last season? Are they so entrapped in their own world that when they sing, the voice they hear is different? Ofcourse it also doesn’t help when family members or friends play along with it because they are deluding themselves into thinking that they are protecting him/her from the hard truth.

Putting love aside, I do believe that sometimes we have to be a little bad to grow a little good. The truth will always find a way out to the surface, and sometimes it is on national television…


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home