Thursday, March 02, 2006

This One's for Narrrling...

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Narrrling and I, we’ll probably fall into the same character group if we were to complete the Myers-Brigg survey together because we both seem to be rather poor at making firm decisions. Although we started talking about what we wanted to do on Valentine’s day since early January, nothing concrete was planned. So after some rounds of head scratching and debates and tug of wars between dinner venues, finally Narrrling said, “I’ll cook dinner”. And since I have a reputation famous for burning arms, cutting fingers, exploding stoves, splattering oil..etc.., Narrrling has all along, been assigned, the official cook at home. I have long taken for granted that Narrrling cooks, which is why I thought Valentine’s day this year was going to be like any other day of the year. I set my expectations at its lowest.

When I arrived at Narrrling’s place for Valentine’s dinner that night, the first thing I saw was the dinner table. It came as quite a surprise to me. Although I’ve long known that Narrrling is a naturally creative guy and good cook, I didn’t expect the efforts put into decorating the dinner table and the main course. Rose petals that are probably worth a dollar each, splattered on the table in an artistic simmer. A single stalk of rose placed carefully on top of a card with a romantic message. Delicious looking gourmet dinner served elegantly on sparkling white plates… It was then that I realized, when you go into an experience with totally no expectations whatsoever, you start to notice the details.

Maybe this isn’t going to be my best Valentine’s celebration ever. There was no trip to the moon, no expensive dinner with romantic quartets playing at the side, and no 30 minute fireworks display but I must say, I observed the best quality of beef in the steak, my favourite cake specially bought from Bayou (a 10km detour from Narrling’s office to home) and my favourite drink of Orange Juice mixed with Sprite served in an elegant glass on the table. All these, carefully thought through with love.

So this one’s for you, Narrrling. Expectations or none, from now on, I will always try to cherish every little thing you do for me. Thank you. And I like the Valentine’s gift. An electronic pocket dictionary… Ahem..


The gourmet dinner


The main course


Love Note

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home