Thursday, March 02, 2006

Marriage D'Amour No More

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

When I was young, I had great dreams that I was going to one day play a grand piano worth millions in front of an audience of thousands. There was going to be a huge spotlight shone on my beautiful ivory white piano and me. I would be wearing a long flowing white dress, and there I am, beautiful, talented, captivating…. Miki-C, the piano legend.

Up till today, I probably play 5 kinds of musical instruments at least? Unfortunately I am a typical jack-of-all-trades but master of none. I was always the fastest in my class to pick up the basics, but I was also the fastest to lose interest. And the moment I lost interest, my development slows and everyone else in the class would eventually become better than me. When that happens, I move on to the next kind of class. So in my 28+ years of life, I’ve taken art classes, piano classes, violin classes, organ classes, trombone classes, flute classes, swimming classes, speech classes, dancing classes, French classes, drama classes, singing classes, tennis classes.. and the list goes on… Yeah, if you speak French to me, I’ll survive past the initial exchanges. Anything beyond that, I must say, sorry, I don’t understand anymore because I moved on to dancing classes. I probably say I mastered the basics of everything I learned but I never became superb at any of them.

However, among all that I’ve lost interest, I wish I didn’t give up piano. Up till today, I still long for the title of ‘Miki-C the piano legend’ and I long to impress people with my superior talents in musical performance, be it my colleagues, my friends or even my future husband. Call me an attention seeker but every time I see a grand piano in a shopping complex or a hotel lobby, I wish I could sneak up to it and play a song to drop some passerby jaws.. But the hard truth is, nowadays, my skills are so rusty, I can’t even play a proper song without making mistakes, except my all time favourite, the song, “Marriage D’Amour” by Richard Clayderman. I learned to play that song when I was 10 and since then, it’s become my one and only impromptu performance song and nothing else. Ask me to play anytime and “Marriage D’Amour” it is.. I probably can play it blind-folded.

But nowadays, playing “Marriage D’Amour” isn’t the most fashionable song to do in public anymore. “Marriage D’Amour” was something from the 80s and nowadays you’ll only hear it on cracking sound systems in old cranky hotels. Sigh.. There goes my one and only song played to perfection... Goodbye, Richard..

So I guess I’ve got no choice now but to move on to the next stop. Narrrling has just suggested we do Aikido together.. Let’s hope my previous ballet lessons won’t interfere with my future Aikido lessons. Don’t want a kick-ass kick to turn out looking like a pointed toe graceful kick..

2 Comments:

At 10/02/2006 12:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have the sheet music for Marriage D'amour? Would it be possible for you to email it to me please?

snowdrop_crystal@hotmail.com

 
At 5/15/2008 03:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup, i guess i was like that.
or still is...

musics lessons,
martial art lessons...

always the jack of all trade...

till my aikido sensei said, you may be a jack of all trade, but will be a master of non...

so what if i keep learning something?

i didnt even manage to finish learning japanese language till now...

master of none he said...and true it is.

ameagor thenny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home